Piestany resort is located in western Slovakia on the Vah river bank 80 km away from the capital of Bratislava and is the most significant and famous thermal spa in Slovakia. The resort is situated in the warmest area of Slovakia, in the low-land part of the country. The average summer temperature is rarely above +35C. The exception was the hot summer of 2013, when the temperature reached 40C. Warm and relatively dry summers, mild autumns and winters, a lot of sun and vegetation create excellent conditions for year-round recreation.
The main symbol of the resort is a man breaking a crutch, standing at the entrance to the Kolonadny Bridge. Another symbol is the peacock, not only because in Piestany you can see peacocks of rare beauty. The truth is that according to legend, the healing properties of mineral water and sulphate mud began to be used after a peacock cured its injured leg in a muddy pit.
Piestany resort is divided by the Vah river into two parts: a city part and a Resort Island. On the left bank there is a resort area with mineral water springs and reservoirs with therapeutic mud, diagnostic and treatment centers, thermal pools, modern hotels and sanatoriums.
On the Resort island there is a public outdoor swimming pool Eva, Medical houses Irma and Napoleon. The cultural center organizes various events.
On the right bank of the river there is a city with shops, restaurants, cafes and casinos. There are also several hotels and resorts, cultural, educational and social institutions, a large park, sports facilities and playgrounds. In the evenings in the center of the city it is nice to walk along ancient streets, where you can hear pleasant music and join the dancing couples, sit in a café or rest near the city fountains.
Both parts are conveniently connected by two bridges: Kolonadovy for pedestrians and Dorozhny for vehicles.
Treatment at Piestany resort.
The main therapeutic factors of the Piestany resort are thermal waters and sulfuric mud. Ten sources of natural healing sulfate-carbonate, calcium-sodium, sulfuric hypotonic hot water with average mineralization, having a temperature of +67.. + 69°C. There is a source of drinking water.
Sulfur-containing mud in the Piestany resort is considered one of the most high-quality therapeutic muds in the world.
Indications for treatment at the Piestany resort
Rheumatism, arthritis and variations of these diseases;
Reactive and secondary arthritis;
Ankylosing spondylitis (Bekhterev's disease);
Idiopathic scoliosis and of other origin;
Denegerativnye diseases of hip joints (coxarthrosis) at all stages;
Non-inflammatory diseases of joints (arthroses);
Non-inflammatory diseases of the spine (spondylosis and spondyloarthrosis);
Rheumatism progressing without joint damage (tendon pain, tendon sheaths, muscles and ligaments, arising out of infections, intoxications or traumatic injuries);
Post-traumatic and post-operative conditions of the musculoskeletal system;
Polyneuropathy complicated by paresis;
Multiple sclerosis and other demyelinating diseases (except outbreak stage);
Rachitic skeletal defects with painful manifestations;
Conditions after meningoencephalitis and myelitis;
Painful peripheral nerves injury: severe plexitis, polyneuritis and radiculitis (after the acute period);
Full (or partial) paralysis of one half of the body: hemiplegia, hemiparesis and paraparesis resulting from vascular lesions (after the acute period);
Guillain -Barre syndrome;
Loss of motor functions occurring as a result of degenerative changes or normal organism development disorders;
Manifestations of early aging of the locomotor system;
Condition after injuries, traumas and surgeries to the musculoskeletal system, central and peripheral nervous system;
Piestany resort also offers treatment of childhood diseases which require spa treatment, including:
- Diseases such as cerebral infantile paralysis and the like diseases;
- Deviation of motor functions that has occurred after a trauma, encephalitis or myelitis, conditions after brain and spinal cord tumors, as well as after a stroke;
- Diseases of the peripheral nervous system;
- Degenerative and family-hereditary diseases of the neuromuscular system;
- Diseases of muscles and mobility impairments as a result of the injuries to the centers;
- Congenital or acquired disorders of locomotor system and inflammatory joint diseases.
Contraindications to treatment at the Piestany resort
- Serious heart diseases;
- Acute thrombosis;
- Inflammatory rheumatic fever in the acute stage;
- Tumor disease with metastases
- Acute psychosis;
- Unbalanced diabetes with repeated acidosis;
- Alcohol addiction and dependence on other drugs;
- Conditions that require constant care from a third party;
- Epilepsy with high repetition frequency of attacks.
- The resort has a salt cave
Indications for a salt cave:
- respiratory diseases of adults and children (asthma, chronic bronchitis, inflammation of nasal sinuses, upper and lower respiratory tract infections, respiratory allergies,
- digestive organ diseases (gastric and duodenal ulcers, inflammation of the colon, Crohn's disease),
- diseases of the cardiovascular system (hypertension, coronary heart disease, post- myocardial infarction conditions, peripheral blood system changes),
- skin diseases of adults and children (allergies, psoriasis, dermatitis),
- reduction in activity of the thyroid gland (hypothyroidism)
- dysfunction of the vegetative system,
- some mental disorders, neurosis, state of fatigue as a result of an acute or chronic stress, Seasonal Affective Disorders (SAD),
- decreased immunity of adults and children,
- lack of iodine in the body (including pregnant women and children).